As an Amazon Associate Playpedalsteel.com earns from qualifying purchases. This page contains affiliate links.
There’s nothing like a nice, full, big-sounding chord that is played on the C6 neck: Combine with sustain from the volume pedal, some reverb, and a touch of vibrato and you’ve got the ingredients for some killer chordal recipes.
Below is a diagram for some big sounding chords on the C6 neck…
These all have their root notes on the 10th string (7th string as well), allowing a player to move up and down the fretboard to change chords within a progression. I have included the Nashville numbering system for these chords to help a player better understand how these chords relate to each other.
To pick these, I recommend using the thumb for the 10th string, and the index and middle fingers to grab notes on the other strings: better yet, hit the 10th string note first, then use the thumb to pick strings 7-5, and the index and middle fingers for strings 4&3.
Experiment with these chord voicings, and enjoy the benefits of the C6’s frequency range. These voicings can sound like an organ or keyboard, and can really add some sizzle to a tune.
Thanks for checking out this page, hope it is helpful and makes playing more enjoyable! If you’re interested in diving deeper into playing chords and scales on E9 pedal steel, check out these guides…
The Chord Guide for E9 Pedal Steel (E-Book, Digital Download)
Learn the chords on the E9 neck in a way that makes playing simple and enjoyable…
- Almost Every Chord You’ll Ever Need for E9
- Intuitive and Easy to Use
- Make Use of Pedal and Lever Combinations
- Example Tabs of Chord Movements
- Easily Utilize the Nashville Number System
- Great For Any Key and Style of Music
Includes a bonus section of over a hundred pages of extra chord charts, key references, and more!
More Digital Downloads for Pedal Steel…
The Scale Book for E9 Pedal Steel
Over 1,000 Pages with Tabs and Diagrams!
- Easy to Use Reference for Practicing
- All Major and Minor Pentatonic Scales, Modes, Major Scales
- All Keys, and Covers the Fretboard
- Includes Pockets of Scales
The Art of Right Hand Technique
A detailed look at one of the most challenging and mysterious aspects of steel guitar playing: the right hand…
- An In-Depth Guide to Picking and Blocking
- How to Efficiently and Accurately Play Notes on Steel Guitar with Info, Advice, and Tips…
- Great for Pedal Steel, Lap Steel, and Console Steel Guitar
- Over 100 Pages with Graphics, Illustrations, & Practice Exercises
200 Country Riffs & Licks for E9 Pedal Steel
Add these country licks to your playing repertoire…
- Easy to Read Format
- Includes Rhythmic Notation
- Playing Over Chord Changes
- Great for Country, Alt-Country, & Honky-Tonk Styles
The Elixir of E9 Pedal Steel: Harmonized 6ths
For more on C6 chord voicings and melodic options, check out the pages below…